13 November 2007

long live the little traffic light man


Guiding the pedestrians of Berlin is a funny looking man in a funny looking hat. Berlin has its own unique cross walk traffic light symbol , the ampelmännchen (english translation: the little traffic light man)
(common theme in Germany: Long words comprised of many smaller words).
It was created by an East German psychologist with the idea that people would respond to traffic laws better if presented with a friendly little man eagerly crossing the street. After German unification, East and West Berliners alike fought to keep the ampelmännchen alive in Berlin crosswalks. And it has since become well loved icon in Berlin adorning everything from T-shirts to mousepads.

And I have to give credit to that psychologist because Berliners DEFINITELY obey. As former New Yorkers, we were (and continue to be) appalled and annoyed to find that Berliners obey the crosswalk lights at all times. Even though it may be 3 AM and no vehicles as far as the eye can see, people will still stand and wait for the the little green ampelmännchen to appear!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder why they are so good at following rules? I wonder what they must think of new yorkers!!! How rude! I also think I would like to own a little traffic light man t-shirt please!

Unknown said...

excuse me. i forgot a question mark after yorkers. i think you have already noticed katie!

Anonymous said...

That's funny. What happens if people don't obey the little traffic light man? Do they get a ticket? LOL I'm with Emily, I would definatley sport a little traffic light man t-shirt. Hmmmm, I wonder if people will obey me when I wear it?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!