02 November 2007

mein Deutschkurs

I started my intensive German class this week. I love it so far. It's 4 hours/day and 4 days/week, but the time goes by fast. The teacher only speaks German the entire time. I'm sure she plays a killer game of charades. There are students from many different countries representing every continent. Pakistan, Poland, Peru, Georgia (the country), Kazaksthan ( soo hard not to mention Borat), Australia, Turkey, Nigeria, Malaysia, Thailand, Greece, Mongolia, Serbia, Tunisia, and France. On the first day I befriended a woman from Georgia. She doesn't speak English and I don't speak Georgian, but we managed to have a cup of coffee together and communicate only in German. Mostly I said, "Ich verstehe nicht" ( I don't understand) and "ja, ja, ja" (yea, yea, yea). It's amazing how many ways there are to communicate. Somehow we both knew that we could be friends. We have the same sense of humor. :)
So, tomorrow I will go to the disco with my new international friends, because dancing is a universal language.

1 comment:

dumbellfish said...

hahaha, i studied Deutsch in Berlin for 2 months, i know exactly how that came about... my time couldn't be used better than struggling to communicate with my classmates in limited Deutsch vocabulary. Classmates came from Turkey, America, Malaysia,Columbia, Japan, Brazil, Italy,Spain...
Didier